Tuesday, August 26, 2008

More Firsts

The night we had Meet Your Teacher Night at my "home school" proved to be quite interesting! Imagine this... teachers and support staff were sitting on the stage in the gym and the principal was introducing the evening's events as the families sat in the bleachers. He introduced a man to lead us in the Pledge and a PRAYER! Out loud, I said "is this really happening?" The spech pathologist next to me said "we didn't do this last year!" Somewhere around 15 families stopped by the art room to meet me. I was pleased with the turn out. 
The next day a well spoken parent emailed the principal about the unconstitutional prayer. He forwarded the email to teachers and told us "we will address this as a school family." Drama!

Monday, students in 5th grade started working on a portrait project. As I walked around the room, a boy told me he had a dream last night that he was making this even though he had never done it before.  What can I say? I am making dreams come true for these kids ;)

Today, I had to call home for two fourth grader girls that chose to paint on each other.  We have talked about safety and respecting materials. As I introduced the projects we talked about the proper way to use the paint and what I expected as the students worked. Nonetheless, about half way through I turned to see the girls painting on each other with black tempera. The parents were supportive and thanks me for calling. I have to admit, I was a little nervous about it. I planned out bullet points of what I wanted to says before I called. I know-what a first year thing to do!!

I also had my first picture day as a teacher. I was the first in the school to get my picture today. Super cool. 

 

No comments: